The SFCRM application architecture is based on a lightweight, pure-Java servlet-based runtime
engine. Its design incorporates the best practices in contemporary web application design:
These features provide the following additional benefits:
- Clearly-defined 3-tier architecture, with a rigid separation between database, business
logic and user-interface layers, providing for reliable, maintainable, secure software;
- Database connection pooling, for providing fast page loads;
- Database-engine-agnostic, SQL92-compliant SQL query construction, relying on standard
2.0 APIs, ensuring that the application works seamlessly with most common database engines,
including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2,
PostgreSQL, Sybase and Mckoi;
- Transaction control, ensuring data integrity under heavy loads;
Java applets, thus requiring a very thin browser-only client;
modern browsers, including Internet Explorer,
Mozilla, Konqueror and Safari.
- Complete platform independence, allowing the application code base to run with no change
on virtually all hardware and operating systems, ranging from low-end Microsoft Windows
95/98 systems through Linux, MacOS and Solaris machines to high-end IBM mainframes.
- Complete independence from particular database engines, avoiding vendor lock-in and
offering a smooth upgrade path from minimal hardware/software configurations to high-end
- True portability: To move the application server from one environment (machine or
operating system) to another, literally all that is needed is to zip up the application's
directory, unzip it in the target environment and start it up.